Among the issues and errors faced by QuickBooks users from time to time, the issues while opening QuickBooks are the most common. QB keeps crashing, or QB won’t start, and these issues cause a state of panic for the users. This problem can occur due to a damaged company file or a QB installation file. If your QuickBooks Desktop won’t open, don’t worry! You have found the right article. We are going to provide you with the reasons why your QuickBooks keeps crashing and the steps you can perform to eliminate the issue.
If you are unable to understand the steps or have trouble resolving the error on your own, reach out to us at 1-855-856-0042 to get assistance from our technical team in fixing the issue.
Reasons for the QuickBooks Crash Com Error
The possible reasons for the QuickBooks unresponsive issue are –
- The company file you are trying to access is either damaged or corrupted.
- Essential QuickBooks files are missing or accidentally deleted.
- The folder containing your company file might be damaged or corrupted.
- Your QuickBooks installation is faulty or the installation files have issues.
- You are using an outdated QuickBooks version, and you need to update it.
Prerequisites before Troubleshooting the Issue
Before we discuss the steps to resolve the QuickBooks issue, make sure to back up your company file. This will prevent any accidental data loss that might occur during the troubleshooting phase. To backup your company file, follow these steps –
- Open QuickBooks and go to the Filemenu to select the Back Up Company
- Select Create Local Backupand follow the on-screen instructions to complete the company file backup process successfully.
Steps to Resolve the QuickBooks Crashing Issue Effectively
Once you have created the file backup, follow these steps to resolve the crashing issue –
Recommended to read: QuickBooks Error PS060
Step 1. Suppress QuickBooks Desktop and Upgrade the Program
If you are unable to open QuickBooks, suppress the QB program and download the latest updates.
- Press and hold the Ctrl + Shiftkeys and double-click on the QB icon to open the application.
- Don’t release the keys until you see the No Company Open window appear on your screen.
- Next, enter your admin username and password if required, and release the keys.
- Go to the QuickBooks Helpmenu and find the Update QuickBooks Desktop option to select it.
- Click on Reset Updatefrom the Update Now tab and select the Get Updates
- Once the updates are downloaded, reopen QuickBooks and click on Install Nowto install the recent updates.
Step 2. Download the QuickBooks Tool Utility and Utilize the Different Tools Within
To resolve the QuickBooks keeps crashing issue, you need to run the QuickBooks Tool Hub and utilize the tools.
- Download and save the exefile and follow the on-screen instructions to install the tool hub.
- Once installed, double-click and open the tool hub to go to the Program Problems
- Find the Quick Fix my Program tool and run a quick repair to fix the program issues causing the error.
- Let the tool run, and once done, rerun QuickBooks to check the status of the crashing problem.
- If the issue persists, go to the Company File Issuestab and select the QuickBooks File Doctor
- Browse your company file having issues and select the Check your File and Networkoption to initiate the file repair.
- Once the file doctor tool stops running, recheck the error status by rerunning QuickBooks.
Step 3. Repair QuickBooks from the Programs & Features Option
Issues with QuickBooks installation are the most apparent reason behind the QuickBooks com error crash. To fix the issue, you need to repair QuickBooks Desktop in the following manner –
- Open the Run window by pressing Windows + R and access the Control Panelfrom it.
- From the Programtab, select the Programs & Features option and choose QuickBooks from the program list.
- Click Uninstalland hit Next to choose the Repair option and run a QuickBooks repair.
- If you get a file in use window, select Automatically close and attempt to restart applications.
- Let the repair process run and once it completes, select Finishand rerun QB to see if the crashing issue has terminated.
Step 4. Create a New Company File Location and Copy the Files to your Desktop
If your QuickBooks crashes when opening company file, there might be some issues with the file folder. Move the file to a new location and access it from there to check if the folder is corrupted.
- Right-click on a space on your desktop screen and click New to create a new folder named QBTEST.
- Go to your current company file location and right-click on the company file to select Copyand paste it into the newly created folder.
- Press and hold the Ctrlkey till the No Company Open window appears, and select the Open or Restore an Existing Company
- Select Open a Company File and browse for the company file in the new location to access it.
- Click Open,and if the file opens without issues, your folder was damaged, and it was causing the crashing problem.
Step 5. Update your Windows OS and Fix Compatibility Problems
If your Windows OS is not compatible with QuickBooks, the QuickBooks crash com error will occur. For this, update your Windows to a version compatible with your current QB version. Go to the Windows Start menu and select Settings to choose the Update and Security option. Check for updates and download the available Windows updates to resolve the problem.
If your QuickBooks keeps crashing, you can resolve the issue with the help of a few easy solutions. Perform the steps provided in this article, and if the problem persists, you can call us at 1-855-856-0042 and get professional assistance from our team of experts in fixing the issue.