The number of people taking their own lives is increasing at an alarming rate. Suicide awareness programs have become the need of the hour. When people will be given the training to identify their triggers and combat their suicidal feelings, this problem can be handled better. Suicide prevention and awareness programs help people to indulge in calm conversations which can save precious lives.
Even if any individual feels that someone is depicting suicidal tendencies or requires help, they should take prompt action so that an unfortunate thing is prevented. It is always better to recognize and respond to feelings of despair and sadness than to just ignore them. Timely action can solve and save lives. Join suicide awareness Australia programs as this can help you save not just your own life but also the lives of people around you. You never know who requires help. It can be your colleague at work, your neighbor, or even your own child.
Browse the web for great suicide prevention and awareness programs. Such programs are done both online and in person. ASIST training is popular psychological first aid training and suicide prevention awareness program. It is a small but practical course that can be taken by counselors, family members, caretakers, support workers, etc. ASIST refers to Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training. The trusted team of professionals imparting ASIST training informs the participants about first aid and offers support.
All about ASIST Training
ASIST is an accredited suicide prevention and awareness program that spans two days. It encompasses an interactive training session where the caregivers are provided comprehensive training to offer suicide first aid. This training program is extremely effective and has been instrumental in saving a lot of lives.
ASIST teaches the participants to identify if someone around them or close to them has thoughts of committing suicide. They then work and come up with a plan that will offer immediate safety. Even though most healthcare providers use ASIST, the participants do not require any kind of formal training if they wish to attend this amazing workshop. As a matter of fact, anyone who is more than 16 years of age can learn as well as use this ASIST model.
Benefits of ASIST
ASIST has shown marked benefits in people facing suicidal thoughts. Also, those who help others come out of such thoughts have experienced the efficacy and effectiveness of ASIST. ASIST is without a doubt a cost-effective approach to combat the issue of suicide in people belonging to all age- groups. The program is hands-on and instantly applicable. Any other program for suicide prevention is not as prompt as AISIT.
What is a Person who has done ASIST Training Capable of?
A lot of people whether they are medical care providers or family members or teens who want to help others opt for ASIST. Once they complete their learning process they become equipped to handle a lot. Some of this is mentioned below:
- Become suicide alert – they can easily identify the people who battle with thoughts of taking or ending their own life. So basically, a training ASIST professional recognizes people who are potentially at risk. It can be that someone is showing signs of mental disturbance or any other visible or not-so-visible sign.
- Understand the rationale behind the thoughts to commit suicide and what can be the reasons to stay alive and handle life issues.
- Assess the level of risk of a person contemplating suicide. Also, come up with a place that guarantees his/ her safety. People who are at greater risk due to what so ever reasons are provided immediate assistance.
- Understand the call for help. There are certain signs that a person who needs help to come out of such a situation gives. A person who has done ASIST training can recognize such signs.
- Understand the potential barriers which people face and why they do not call for or seek any help
- Offer all kinds of support – this means you pay heed to all vital aspects of suicide prevention such as life promotion along with quality self-care
- Effectively put into practice an effective suicide intervention model
- Link the people in need with available community resources
Features of ASIST Training Workshop
- Presentations as well as guidance from registered trainers. These trainers guide you and help you at each step. You can ask them whatever clarifications you need or if there is any kind of dilemma in mind
- Highly effective audio-visual aids for learning
- Exhaustive group discussions and knowledge exchange
- Skills practice as well as development
- An equilibrium of challenge as well as safety
- Participant materials encompass a workbook of 20 pages, a wallet card, as well as stickers. On completion of the workshop, the participants will get the certificate.
They can be managed with professional assistance, counseling, and guidance. There is nothing to be ashamed of in case you need help. Rather than ending a precious life, it is better to come out and receive whatever help is available.
Suicide Programs have been a huge success in current times. It is prudent that you enroll in a good program and get the necessary help. If a small conversation can save a life, it is worth it at the end of the day. With such programs, it won’t take you long to understand if anyone close to or around is going through suicidal thoughts. Helping a person in need is a noble thing and will provide you pure joy and happiness.